In 1643, Claude Trudon became the owner of a boutique on the rue Saint-Honoré where he developed his activity as a grocer and candler.
His candles were purchased to light parishes and homes. Thus, in the early days of Louis the 14th’s reign, Claude Trudon created a manufacturing company that would make his family’s fortune.
The Manufacture used beeswax to make its candles. Its motto “Deo regique laborant” meant “They work for God and the King” (“they” being the bees). The wax is carefully harvested from the hive before being filtered, washed and exposed to sunlight in order to obtain the purest white possible.
The court of Louis the 15th and the kingdom’s largest parishes were seduced by the Manufacture’s perfectly white candles.
Besides their immaculate color, they burned for a long time and didn’t splutter.
In 1737, his descendant Jérôme Trudon bought the Manufacture Royale des Cires (Royal Wax Manufacturer) in Antony from Seigneur Péan de Saint-Gilles. With his family’s extensive candling skills, Jérôme Trudon brilliantly developed the manufacture.
The Manufacture supplied Versailles up to the last days of the Ancient Regime and survived through the French Revolution. When Napoleon the 1st was crowned in 1811, the Manufacture supplied the imperial court.
No political or industrial revolutions ever blighted the Manufacture’s existence, it even survived the arrival of the “miracle of electricity”.
In 2007, the company took the name “Cire Trudon” and became a specialist in manufacturing perfumed candles. Today it enlists well-known “noses” to create perfumes for the stories it wishes to tell. Each candle is still dripped and made by hand, perpetuating a luxury manufacturing which helps perpetuates the skills of its founder, Claude Trudon.